About 721 Eastern Avenue
Source: Quadrangle Architects
721 Eastern Avenue is located in the South of Eastern Employment District. The 2.8 hectares (7 acres) site is located on the south side of Eastern Avenue midway between Larchmount Avenue and Rushbrooke Avenue, along Lake Shore Boulevard.
721 Eastern Avenue
The 2.8 hectares (7 acres) site is located on the south side of Eastern Avenue midway between Larchmount Avenue and Rushbrooke Avenue.
History of 721 Eastern Avenue
Records show that in 1894, 721 Eastern Avenue was part of the Leslie and Sons Nurseries. In 1927 the Toronto Harbour Commissioners (THC) transferred the lands to Hoyt Metal Company of Canada Limited (later Canada Metals Limited). The southern portion was eventually transferred to The Canada Metals Company in October 1941. Canada Metals Limited operated a metal processing facility from the 1930s until about 2001 in a series of interconnected buildings and spaces. The site has seen a lot of transition since its foundation in 1894. Today, there are 9 identifiable structures on the site.
The Canada Metals Company in 1975, looking west along Eastern Avenue. Source: City of Toronto Archives.
721 Eastern Avenue today
The site today is essentially entirely hard surface, occupied by 9 identifiable structures, asphalt driveways and paved parking lot with very little to no landscaped areas, and few trees.
View looking south down the western edge of the site
View looking south into the site
Local Development Activity
The South of Eastern Employment District is undergoing significant physical change as a number of mixed use and commercial developments build on the industrial character of the area and add new employment uses to its streets. Below image highlights some of the notable projects recently proposed in the area.